Sir Ranulph Fiennes, described by The Guinness Book of Records as “the world’s greatest living explorer,” is known for stating that there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. That means cold winter days are no excuse to stay inside! Instead, bundle the family in fluffy coats and fuzzy scarves and head to Bernheim for an outdoor adventure. You can . . .
- Build a den of branches and sticks and cozy up inside, like a hibernating skunk,
- Look for the green gems of the winter landscape: mosses, ferns, and lichens,
- Find tree buds closed tightly, just waiting for spring to explode with leaves,
- Compare our conifer collection: junipers, pines, spruces, and hemlocks,
- Hunt for overwintering insects under logs, beneath stones, and in leaf litter,
- Search for frost flowers – ribbons of ice bursting from plant stems after a freeze,
- Listen for Pileated Woodpeckers, loudly calling cuk-cuk-cuk-cuk-cuk in the forest,
- Enjoy a cup of hot chocolate at Issac’s Café to cap off your winter expedition!