Source: FORward Radio
Host: Justin Mog
April 22, 2019
To listen to the full episode, click here.
On this edition of Sustainability Now!, your host, Justin Mog, celebrates Earth Day by having an ol’ fashioned “porch sit” with three GIANTS from Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest in Clermont, KY: Jenny Zeller, Arts Coordinator; Claude Stephens, Facilitator of Outreach and Regenerative Design and director of the Children at Play Network; and Andrew Berry, Director of Conservation. In addition to discussing the three giants that have invaded the forest, we discuss:
• Ignorance based design (embracing experimentation, risk/failure, multiple pathways to a solution, constant adjustment)
• Deferring to the wisdom of nature in design – drawing from millions of years of successful selection (Living Building Challenge)
• Always looking as far upstream as possible to frame your solutions – addressing root causes not symptoms (Children at Play Network)
• Using the arts as a door into our work – the arts can have a GIANT impact on engaging audiences in conversations about sustainability and climate change. (Promoting conservation through a 40 year old Artist in Residence program.)
• Shifting scale – the conservation work of the past century was protecting places – the conservation work of the future will be how we connect places.
• Bernheim’s efforts in large scale conservation – connecting corridors – regional efforts – focused/prioritized land protection)