For decades, fun, beautiful and inspiring experiences at Bernheim have been captured in photographs and video that have been shared all over the world. At Bernheim, we welcome the opportunity to be a picture perfect backdrop or setting. Taking photos and video for personal non-profit use does not require a fee other than the environmental fee on the weekends. For-profit commercial photography / videography and portrait photography require a fee as outlined below. Professional photography and videography at receptions, wedding ceremonies and other private events scheduled through Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest are permitted at no additional fee. The policy and fees below are necessary to ensure that there are no conflicts with ongoing rentals and events and that planned photography / videography is in keeping with Bernheim’s mission to connect people with nature.
I. Portrait Photography
Portrait Photography taken by a professional photographer consists of pictures utilizing Bernheim as a background such as graduation, family, wedding, engagement, prom, senior or similar photos which are not part of a private event such as a wedding ceremony. Professional Photographers are given the option to choose between the following:
• An annual Bernheim Photographer’s Membership Permit, which can be purchased at $150. The Photographer’s Membership Permit also includes the benefits of a Bernheim Membership.
• A 1 day photography session for $30 per photography studio. These passes are good only during Bernheim’s regular operating hours.
Weekend environmental fee still applies for clients / customers who are not members of Bernheim and travel in a separate vehicle.
Photography of weddings or other events scheduled at Bernheim does not require a permit or session fee as long as the photographer is capturing images in the immediate vicinity of the agreed upon event location at Bernheim. If the event photographer wishes to capture images at an alternate location within Bernheim during the event, advance coordination is required.
FOR ANNUAL PERMITS, contact our membership department at email@example.com or call 502-955-8512 ext. 226
TO PAY SESSION FEE, contact Regina Glass firstname.lastname@example.org, 502-955-8512 ext. 224
II. Commercial Photography / Video
Photography and video sold for commercial purposes and the use in movies, documentaries, television commercials, brochures, business cards, annual reports, advertising, retail products, websites, model portfolios, promotional projects, music videos or similar profit-making projects must be scheduled in advance and fees will be negotiated independent of the registration. Unless otherwise negotiated, Bernheim will receive a site recognition in final products.
Coordination for all commercial photography is Regina Glass who will identify key members of the Bernheim team who should be consulted based on the scope of the project. email@example.com
or 502-955-8512 ext 224
Photography / Videography Guidelines
• All shoots must be consistent with Bernheim’s family-friendly experience.
• Advance notification and approval for commercial photography / videography is required, in order to ensure there are no conflicts with previously scheduled programs and events.
• Parking is only allowed at designated parking spaces.
• Plants and artwork may not be rearranged, cut, moved or handled in any way.
• Artwork such as sculptures are protected by artist’s copyright and may not be photographed / videoed for the purpose of reproduction.
• Photography and video of resident wildlife will be permitted only when such wildlife will not be harmed or disturbed thereby.
• The photographer / videographer is liable for all damages, expenses and loss.
• Bernheim reserves the right to limit access to certain areas.
• No alcoholic beverages.
• No smoking.
• Remain on the pathways and/or lawn.
• Professional photographers / videographers are required to carry their permit at all times.
• If Bernheim staff is required during a shoot their assistance must be arranged in advance and their time will be billed at an hourly rate determined during the approval process.
• All other rules and regulations of Bernheim apply.
III. Controlled Vehicle (Drone) Policy
Bernheim is a place for people to connect with nature undistracted by technologies imposed upon them. For this reason, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest prohibits the use of all drones or remote controlled vehicles by individuals, corporations or government agencies in the airspace above Bernheim, without prior, explicit written permission from the Executive Director. In rare instances Bernheim may allow use of such equipment for scientific or artistic pursuits. Inquires should be directed to Amy Landon, Communications & Marketing Manager, (502) 955-8512 ext. 262 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Fees and permits are negotiated on a case by case basis. Any unauthorized use of drones within or above this private land may result in the immediate escort from Bernheim property, a potential ban from entry and/or other remedies allowed by law.
EFFECTIVE AS OF JANUARY 1, 2016