Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest is seeking a highly motivated individual with strong woody botanical knowledge and experience in plant collections database management, who will perform curatorial field work and who is enthusiastic about sharing their plant passion with others. The Plant Records Coordinator should be able to think holistically and sustainably about collections management, display signage, and interpretation strategies for our visitors. Bernheim’s 620-acre, Arbnet Level IV Arboretum, is host to major living collections of Quercus, Magnolia, Ginkgo, Fagus, Ilex and Aesculus. Conservation is at the core of all collection expansions. The Plant Records Coordinator will report to the Director of Horticulture and Sustainable Landscapes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Inventory existing collections, accession all new taxa records, and de-accession taxa.
- Document, label, and track plant collections according to best accepted practices for arboreta.
- Maintain and support plant accessions database, tracking all specimens according to criteria outlined in Plant Collections Policy.
- Upload data such as photos and taxa locations, along with updating maps in the database to reflect changes.
- Participate in design and development of plant accessions database, expanding content, accessibility, and functionality.
- Assemble information resources on collections in accessible formats.
- Develop and maintain collections signage.
- Participate in efforts to train staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Attend relevant conferences, symposia, and institutional meetings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and database management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time.
- A collaborative work ethic, with a strong ability to work independently.
- Must be able to engage in a range of physical activity, including standing or sitting at a desk and computer, walking (sometimes on uneven surfaces) and working outside in varying weather conditions –all for extended periods of time.
- Must also be able to climb a flight of stairs and lift/carry objects up to 50 pounds.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in related field (botany, plant biology, horticulture).
- Strong knowledge of botanical nomenclature and plant identification.
- Prior experience with plant records and mapping software preferred.
- Prior experience in an arboretum, botanical garden or similar setting, including experience inventorying collections and managing a plant records database and GIS compatible software.
- Knowledge and experience with curatorial best practices.
- Strong botanical knowledge complemented by horticultural understanding and practice is required.
- Experience in training and working with volunteers.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire.
Email your resume and letter of application to Bernheim’s HR Department. or mail to the attention of HR, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest, 2499 Clermont Road, PO Box 130 , Clermont, KY 40110.
Bernheim is an equal opportunity employer.