Designs must be capable of being realized for $5,000 (or less) in materials and include:
- Shelter from inclement weather
- Sturdy, practical materials
- Good ventilation and light
- ADA accessibility
- Seating for 13 students with social distancing
- Space for one teacher to present
- Supply storage
- Vertical or horizontal writing surfaces (not necessarily desks)
The most competitive candidates will have
- Recycled, sustainably sourced, handmade, or natural materials
- Sustainable features such as green roofs, planters, or rainwater collection
- Incorporation of art, poetry, music, or other creative element
- Flexible/modular design that easily permits modification or mobility
- Expressions of a community’s tradition or identity
- Accommodation for specific challenges or disabilities
Submissions can be digital or hand-drawn. They must be in color and include an overhead plan drawing, up to 3 drawings showing perspective and detail and a text describing:
- The design idea
- Construction technique with easy to follow instructions
- Materials and dimensions
- Maintenance needs
Eligibility and awards
Both amateur and professional designers can submit, and both team and individual designs are welcome. Top designs will receive cash prizes. All submissions will be publicly displayed.
Launch of competition: December 7, 2020
Submissions can be sent via this Slideroom link
Deadline for submission: February 26, 2021
Announcement of winners: March 12, 2021
Who can apply?
Anyone can apply. Applicants under 16 need to apply with an adult.
Will the designs be realized?
Bernheim does not currently have plans to realize the designs on-site, but we would like to in the future and will seek support to do so.
What will happen with the submitted designs?
We’ll compile and share the designs with the public so that schools, educators, families and communities will have access to them. Currently our plan is to share them digitally in the form of an online slideshow and a PDF design guide, but we will seek out other opportunities to share them too.
Does the budget have to include labor costs?
No, the budget is for materials only.