In conjunction with our 90th anniversary in 2020, Bernheim welcomed Danish artist, Thomas Dambo, to construct three giant sculptures throughout the arboretum using recycled wood from the region. We are thrilled to welcome Mama Loumari with her children, Little Nis and Little Elina, and her third baby Giant, who is currently living in Mama's belly.
As you plan your Giant adventure, here are a few helpful tips:
- Seeing the Forest Giants in a Giant Forest sculptures is free. A $10 donation is suggested per car for non-members.
- We expect the Forest Giants to live at Bernheim until they are no longer safe or aesthetically pleasing (we anticipate they will be here through 2024).
- Start your journey at the Visitor Center for maps, walking and parking information and more.
- The Forest Giants are within walking distance of each other; it's an approximately 2-mile round-trip loop to see all three. Parking is available near each Giant as well. The Visitor Center has specific information or follow signs for Giant parking.
- For accessibility information about the Forest Giants Trail and all other trails, click here.
- You can take photos and touch the Giants, but please treat them with respect.
- We ask that you only climb on Mama Loumari's legs (we wouldn't want to harm baby Giant in her belly). Little Elina and Little Nis welcome visitors on their feet and hands, but no higher.
- Looking for a place to stay nearby? Visit Bullitt County Tourism for lodging information in Shepherdsville/Bullitt County or Louisville Tourism for lodging information in Louisville.
- Want to learn more about our Giant Family? Click here to read their fairy tale.