In conjunction with our 90th anniversary, Bernheim welcomed Danish artist, Thomas Dambo, to construct three giant sculptures throughout the arboretum using recycled wood from the region. We are thrilled to welcome Mama Loumari with her children, Little Nis and Little Elina, and her third baby Giant, who is currently living in Mama's belly.
As you plan your Giant adventure, here are a few helpful tips:
- Seeing the Forest Giants in a Giant Forest sculptures is free. A $10 donation is suggested per car for non-members.
- We expect the Giants to live at Bernheim for at least three years.
- Stop by the Visitor Center for maps, walking and parking information and more.
- The Giants are within walking distance of each other; it's an approximately 2-mile loop to see all three. Parking is available near each Giant as well. The Visitor Center will have specific information.
- You can take photos and touch the giants, but please treat them with respect.
- We ask that you do not climb on Mama Loumari at all (we wouldn't want to harm baby Giant in her belly). Little Elina and Little Nis welcome visitors on their feet and hands, but no higher.
- We encourage you to visit in off-peak times – before 11 a.m. or after 3 p.m. to have more one on one time with our special visitors.
- Looking for a place to stay nearby? Visit Bullitt Couty Tourism for lodging information in Shepherdsville/Bullitt County or Louisville Tourism for lodging information in Louisville.
- Want to learn more about our Giant Family? Click here to read their fairy tale.