- This event has passed.
RESTORE: Healthy Planet, Healthy You
April 22 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE EVENT MAP
The health of the planet and the health of humans go hand in hand. Join us on Earth Day 2023 to celebrate nature’s healing powers and learn how conservation and protection of the Earth are at the center of everything we do at Bernheim. During RESTORE, visitors will not only witness the breathtaking beauty of spring at Bernheim but will also enjoy drop-in self-care activities and a variety of educational experiences that will inspire them to implement more sustainable practices in their daily lives.
So, take a deep breath of fresh air, courtesy of a healthy forest; find peace in the sweeping views of natural beauty, and join in activities that move your body and spirit!
The RESTORE journey includes a 1-mile walking trail through some of Bernheim’s most popular attractions, including the Edible Garden, Earth Measure, the newly-renovated Sensory Garden, and Playcosystem. Along the way, you’ll find activities like those listed below and so much more. All activities are drop-in, so pop by at any point along your adventure. The path will begin at the Visitor Center – walk as little or as much of it as you’d like!
- Adopt a Tree: Bernheim will offer native tree saplings to take home, plant and tend in your yard, and watch them grow!
- Milkweed planting in the Big Prairie
- Earth Day Nature Concerts with Mr. Dan
- All ages yoga with Karma Yoga
- Watch Buddhist monks from Drepung Gomang Center for Engaging Compassion as they create a sand mandala in the center of our Edible Garden and decorate your own reusable bag inspired by their creations
- Wisdom of Trees Walk and drop-in mindfulness mentors with the Passionist Earth and Spirit Center
- Change Today Change Tomorrow canned food drive
- Cooking demos with Foxhollow Farm’s Maggie Keith, a 4th generation land steward and co-host of “The Foodie and the Farmer” on KET. Foxhollow will also be promoting their grass-fed, locally and sustainably raised beef share
- Bike-powered smoothies from Blossom Bar at Rainbow Blossom
- Meet and Greet with Bernheim Artist in Residence, Sam Hensley and Environmental Artist in Residence, Colombian artists, La Vispera, who create stained-glass windows using single-use plastics
- Pollinator Obstacle Course
- Birding walks
- GRIT All-Terrain Wheelchair demos
- Spring house restoration site exploration
- Beekeeping demos
- Wildlife explorations: learning about aquatic critters, herons, beavers, native bees, and more
- Discovery Stations with Bernheim’s Volunteer Naturalists
- Meditative Stone Balancing with Local Artist Jenny Bell
- At noon, join us and Westrock on Isaac’s patio for a ribbon cutting on Bernheim’s NEW recycling bins and signage
Along the way, you’ll also find activities and information from community partners whose work focuses on a healthy planet and a healthy you!
- Louisville Sustainability Council
- Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve
- Food Literacy Project
- FEAT of Louisville
- Evolve KY – Electric Car Charging Stations
- Louisville Compost Co-op
Bernheim members $10; non-members $15; children 13 and under free
Tickets will be sold in advance and at the gate.
THANK YOU TO OUR EVENT SPONSORS
Go Green Sponsor