Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest’s mission is to Connect People with Nature. Horticulture programs and the management of our collections and sustainable landscapes are critical to our mission and our greater vision – Bernheim will be a nationally treasured leader in ecological stewardship that inspires the exploration of our deep connections with nature.
The Director of Horticulture and Sustainable Design brings long-term vision and leadership to a small but strong horticulture team as well as expanding regional/national visibility of our widely recognized plant collections and grounds.
- Adding quality to landscape design in new projects while reworking established gardens and landscapes.
- Expanding outreach and entrepreneurial projects.
- Informing final design, implement new projects and priorities identified in the recently initiated master planning process.
- Developing and implementing policies, procedures and plans.
- Implementing the best sustainable/regenerative practices for collections and landscape management.
- Engaging in Bernheim-wide planning regarding programs, special events, project planning and implementation, as well as major development and fundraising activities.
- Other responsibilities include the training, supervision and motivation of staff, interns and volunteers, as well as the preparation and management of the horticulture budget and related purchasing.
- Four-year degree in horticulture, landscape design, ecology or other relevant field. An advanced degree is preferred,
- Ten years of increasing responsibility in appropriate institutions and positions, including practical experience in administration,
- Considerable experience and knowledge of horticultural principles, methods, techniques, and equipment,
- Extensive plant and design knowledge,
- Familiarity with plant record systems,
- Effective and enjoyable staff, intern and volunteer management and motivation skills,
- The ability to enthusiastically communicate with the public,
- The ability to communicate well through public and professional presentations and written materials,
- Excellent computer skills, social media facility is beneficial.
Click here to view full Director of Horticulture and Sustainable Landscapes job description.
Bernheim is an equal opportunity employer.