In an effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest closed to the public on March 26, 2020. The safety and wellbeing of our visitors, volunteers, staff, and community is always our first priority.
In appreciation of our members’ continued support, Bernheim will open on July 6 to members only for a limited time. On July 27, we will open to all visitors. For your continued safety and to limit large gatherings and control traffic, all members and guests will be required to have a timed entry reservation. Details on this process will be posted to our website and social media soon.
Members will receive an email in the coming days with step-by-step instructions on how to register on our website and reserve a time to visit Bernheim. Reservations will open on Monday, June 29. We appreciate your continued support and your patience during our closure, and all memberships have been extended for four months.
Your visit to Bernheim may look a little different when you arrive. Here are a few tips that will help you have a successful visit:
- Bernheim will be open daily, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Once you enter during your reserved time, you can stay as long as you like, but all visitors must exit by 5 p.m. There will be no reentry once you leave.
- During your stay, please remember to limit gatherings by keeping socially distanced.
- When you are within 10 feet of other guests and Bernheim staff and volunteers, please wear a mask.
- All buildings are closed. Portolets with hand washing stations will be available.
- Isaac’s Café will not be open. Feel free to bring a picnic, snacks, etc.
- Water Fountains will not be in use. Please bring plenty of water with you; it’s important to stay hydrated in the summer heat! And don’t forget to bring water for your dog, which will enjoy Bernheim on leash.
- Most attractions and trails will be open, but the Canopy Tree Walk will be closed and the Forest Giants will be on view from a distance.
- Visitors wishing to hike the Millennium Trail should make a reservation prior to 10 a.m.; Elm Lick prior to 2 p.m. Please be advised that those trails may be closed during heat advisories.
- Visit the “Virtual Visitor Center” found on our website, Bernheim.org, where you can find maps and other information.
We have missed you and are very much looking forward to seeing our treasured visitors immersed in nature again! Watch for upcoming announcements for more detailed information. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you for your support, patience and understanding during our closure. Be safe and well, and we will see you soon!