Spend your summer in the great outdoors leading kids on adventures throughout Bernheim’s lakes, creeks, trails, and more!
Duration: May 16 – July 29, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Hours per week: 40 Pay rate: $12/hour.
Application deadline is April 18.
Responsibilities and Activities
Major responsibilities of the Bernheim Camp Counselor position at Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest (Bernheim) include, but are not limited to, working with the Education Department staff and volunteers to:
- Support lead staff in smooth running of camp
- Ensure safety of campers during various activities
- Offer daily nature-based programming to campers ages 6-12
- Assist campers in activities such as kayaking, interpretive hikes, crafts and more
- Assist in camp prep and clean up each day
- Other duties as assigned
Required Background and Skills
The position of Bernheim Camp Counselor is open to anyone ages 18+ who has a passion for connecting people with nature through meaningful education and direct contact with the natural world. Preference is given to applicants with an academic background and/or career experience in the fields of environmental education, science education, natural interpretation, natural history, earth and natural sciences, formal and informal education, or other related areas. Experience fishing, kayaking, and working with diverse audiences is a plus.To perform this position successfully an individual must be able to perform each requirement in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the requirements):
- Submit to and pass a background check
- Experience working with youth and family audiences regarding nature, ecosystems, natural sciences, etc.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently while maintaining a friendly and professional image with coworkers and the public
- Must be able to perform physical duties including, but not limited to, walking with ease, moving frequently, lifting and moving props and materials, shifting from sitting to standing position and kneeling for extended periods of time
- Ability to traverse difficult terrain and deal with potential exposure to ticks, chiggers, intense heat and sunlight, water, and other harsh environmental conditions
- Ability to communicate, work, and function effectively with fellow staff
- Adherence to dressing in a professional manner
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest in Clermont, KY
- Proof of current COVID-19 vaccination
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Kristin Faurest, Director of Education.
Bernheim is an Equal Opportunity Employer.