Our mission is to Connect People with Nature. Horticulture programs and the management of our collections and sustainable landscapes are critical to our mission and our greater vision – Bernheim will be a nationally treasured leader in ecological stewardship that inspires the exploration of our deep connections with nature.
The Director of Horticulture and Sustainable Design brings long-term vision and leadership to a small but strong horticulture team as well as expanding regional/national visibility of our widely recognized plant collections and grounds.
- Adding quality to landscape design in new projects while reworking established gardens and landscapes.
- Expanding outreach and entrepreneurial projects.
- Informing final design, implement new projects and priorities identified in the recently initiated master planning process.
- Developing and implementing policies, procedures and plans.
- Implementing the best sustainable/regenerative practices for collections and landscape management.
- Engaging in Bernheim-wide planning regarding programs, special events, project planning and implementation, as well as major development and fundraising activities.
- Other responsibilities include the training, supervision and motivation of staff, interns and volunteers, as well as the preparation and management of the horticulture budget and related purchasing.
- Four-year degree in horticulture, landscape design, ecology or other relevant field. An advanced degree is preferred,
- Ten years of increasing responsibility in appropriate institutions and positions, including practical experience in administration,
- Considerable experience and knowledge of horticultural principles, methods, techniques, and equipment,
- Extensive plant and design knowledge,
- Familiarity with plant record systems,
- Effective and enjoyable staff, intern and volunteer management and motivation skills,
- The ability to enthusiastically communicate with the public,
- The ability to communicate well through public and professional presentations and written materials,
- Excellent computer skills, social media facility is beneficial.
Bernheim is an equal opportunity employer.
Please contact Debbie Medley, HR Coordinator to submit your application or to learn more.