The Assistant Horticulturist will provide ongoing support to Bernheim’s Horticulturists and be an integral component of the Horticulture Team. The Horticulture Department is responsible for managing all aspects of Bernheim’s 620-acre, Level IV Arboretum. This position will assist with a range of Arboretum maintenance tasks and performs all tasks to a standard of horticulture excellence under the direct supervision of a Horticulturist or Arboretum Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Site/soil preparation, sowing, planting, transplanting, weeding, mulching, watering, and pruning, mowing, tree removals, pesticide application, and invasive species removal.
- Assist with plant installations.
- Lead volunteers in horticultural tasks.
- Ability to operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, small/large engine equipment and vehicles safely and effectively.
- Ability to serve on the prescribed fire burn crew.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work outside in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, twist and/or stoop.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties.
- Self-motivated, organized, generous team player, attentive to details, with the ability to manage time and function effectively without close supervision.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events as needed.
- Assist with horticultural tours, educational programming, and special events
Licenses and Certifications
- Must possess a valid Kentucky driver’s license at time of hire.
- Current Kentucky Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicators License with the 3N Category or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
Education and Experience
- Interest and the ability to learn and perform horticultural practices.
- Prefer an Associate’s Degree in Horticulture or related field and one-year practical experience, or that the candidate is working toward higher education in horticulture or a related field.
- Related experience is also considered and valued.
- Broad knowledge of woody species a plus.
Email your resume and letter of application to email@example.com or mail to the attention of Debbie Medley, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest, 2499 Clermont Road, PO Box 130 , Clermont, KY 40110.
Bernheim is an equal opportunity employer.