The Assistant Horticulturist will provide ongoing support and be an integral component of the Horticulture Team. The Horticulture Department is responsible for managing all aspects of Bernheim’s 620-acre, Level IV Arboretum. This position will assist with a range of Arboretum maintenance tasks and performs all tasks to a standard of horticulture excellence under the direct supervision of a Horticulturist or Arboretum Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Site/soil preparation, sowing, planting, transplanting, weeding, mulching, watering, and pruning, mowing, tree removals, pesticide application, and invasive species removal.
- Assist with plant installations.
- Lead volunteers in horticultural tasks.
- Ability to operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, small/large engine equipment and vehicles safely and effectively.
- Ability to serve on the prescribed fire burn crew.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work outside in heat, cold or light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend, twist and/or stoop.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties.
- Self-motivated, organized, generous team player, attentive to details, with the ability to manage time and function effectively without close supervision.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events as needed.
- Assist with horticultural tours, educational programming, and special events
Licenses and Certifications
- Must possess a valid Kentucky driver’s license at time of hire.
- Current Kentucky Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicators License with the 3N Category or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
Education and Experience
- Interest and the ability to learn and perform horticultural practices.
- Prefer an Associate’s Degree in Horticulture or related field and one-year practical experience, or that the candidate is working toward higher education in horticulture or a related field.
- Related experience is also considered and valued.
- Broad knowledge of woody species a plus.
Email your resume and letter of application to email@example.com or mail to the attention of Debbie Medley, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest, 2499 Clermont Road, PO Box 130 , Clermont, KY 40110.
Bernheim is an equal opportunity employer.