2020 marks the 40th anniversary of Bernheim’s Artist in Residence program and the value that art brings to the natural environment. In honor of this milestone year, Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest is launching an invitation to the Kentucky artist and design community to submit image designs celebrating the organization’s mission of connecting people to nature.
Submitted designs can address (but not limited to) the unique aspects of Bernheim’s history, geography and wildlife, on-site attractions, nature-based educational programming, research efforts in science, play and art in the landscape. Bernheim colors and fonts are provided with contest rules but are not required for submitted designs.
This call is open to Kentucky-based artists and designers only. In consideration for each selected design, winning artists will receive $300, recognition on Bernheim’s website and social media platforms and in any press regarding the winning submissions, plus two pieces of apparel bearing the selected design. Since Bernheim is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19, applicants are encouraged to visit Bernheim’s website and YouTube channel for design inspiration.
*Download application to your computer before filling out. Save as a pdf titled by name or creative team.*
Form of Entries:
- The “Design” and a complete “Application” form, both of which must be contained in a single e-mail addressed and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org during the Contest Period.
- The Design for each Entry must be limited to no more than four colors (MAXIMUM) submitted as a single image vector or high resolution file (300dpi) no larger than 10 MB and saved in one of the following formats: .pdf, .ai, or .eps.
- Designs must invoke the spirit and mission of Bernheim while also including the Bernheim name (either Bernheim, Bernheim Forest, or Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest). Bernheim colors and fonts are provided in the official contest rules for inspiration but not required for submitted designs.
- The Design for each Entry must be sized large enough to translate to a full-size apparel design and must fit within a 10 inch wide x 12 inch high space.
- The Design for each Entry must be saved as “Name_Design.fileformat”, example: John_Doe_Design.pdf.
- Only one entry per individual (whether an individual Entrant or a two-person Entrant) may be submitted.
**The deadline for submissions is midnight EDT on June 1, 2020.** The winners will be announced in early summer and apparel will be available for purchase by mid-August 2020.