Kentucky has four distinct seasons.
I learned this in childhood
And I didn’t get it from a book.”
- Jesse Stuart, Kentucky is My Land
Children can learn this lesson, first hand, by celebrating Four Seasons at the Children’s Play Garden. During these unique programs, participants experience the unique characteristics of each season through nature activities and outdoor play.
Four Seasons programs take place quarterly at the Children’s Play Garden from 1:00-4:00 p.m. Participation is free for members and included with weekend admission for non-members.
Join us for a season, join us for all four, but please remember to dress for the weather!
2013 Four Seasons at the Children’s Play Garden
- Saturday, February 16: Winter at the Children’s Play Garden: Gather ‘round the bonfire for s’mores and hot chocolate as we explore the straw igloo, sled the dragon’s back, and experiment with snow and ice, regardless of the forecast.
- Saturday, April 20: Spring at the Children’s Play Garden: Delight in the sights and sounds of spring as we play in the mud, make biodegradable pots, plant flower and vegetable seeds, and then toast nature with fruit punch.
- Saturday, July 20: Summer at the Children’s Play Garden: Cool down from the heat as we dive into water play with sponges and sprinklers, try fishing on dry land, and enjoy summertime classics like croquet and lemonade.
- Saturday, November 16: Autumn at the Children’s Play Garden: Feel the crisp autumn air as we jump through leaf piles, master our skills at pumpkin rolling, and create colorful leaf rubbings, all while enjoying apple cider.
Four Seasons programs take place of our regularly scheduled ECO Kids Discovery Days. Although all activities are based from the Children’s Play Garden, an On Your Own Challenge will be available at the Visitor Center from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.